Nat Pernick, M.D.
30100 Telegraph Road, Suite 408
Bingham Farms, Michigan 48025
Telephone (248) 646-0325; Fax (248) 646-3119
Revised 25 May 2018
Detroit Regional Chamber: Leadership Detroit XXXII, September 2010-June 2011
Fellowship: Surgical pathology and research, Wayne State University / Harper University Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, July 1999 to June 2000.
Residency: Wayne State University / Detroit Medical Center, Combined Anatomic-Clinical Pathology, July 1995 to June 1999. Chief Resident, July 1998 to June 1999.
Graduate: Wayne State University, Masters in mathematics courses; courses in Artificial Intelligence, Molecular Biology and Computer Simulation of Biological Systems.
Legal: University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1986.
Medical: University of Michigan Medical School, M.D., 1983.
Undergraduate: Wayne State University, B.S. in mathematics with high distinction, March 1979. Phi Beta Kappa, Nominated Outstanding Graduating Senior, Wayne State Merit Scholarship, Liberal Arts Honors Program, Mathematics teaching assistant.
August 2014 to January 2016: Medical Director, Octapharma Plasma, Madison Heights, Michigan
February 2008 to September 2015:
Founder and Executive Director, The Detroit College Promise, a Michigan 501(c)(3), grassroots version of the Kalamazoo Promise, whose mission is to motivate Detroit students to make education a priority. In September 2015, The Detroit College Promise became a program of the Detroit Public School Foundation.
January 2006 to December 2008: Pathologist consultant to Asterand, PLC, a human tissue bank in Detroit.
August 2001 to date: Founder and President of PathologyOutlines.com, Inc., which provides a comprehensive, continuously updated textbook of Pathology and Laboratory medicine, with links to images and references. The website also has extensive listings of related jobs, conferences, fellowships and books, Case Reports and Pathology products and services. It is free to use, with no registration required, and is entirely supported by advertising.
October 2000 to May 2003: Technology consultant to Consultants in Laboratory Medicine of Toledo, Inc.
July 2000 to December 2005: Locums tenens coverage in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at Oakwood-Annapolis Hospital (Wayne, Michigan); BiCounty Community Hospital (Warren, Michigan); North Oakland Medical Center (Pontiac, Michigan), Riverside Osteopathic Hospital (Trenton, Michigan) and St. Mary Mercy Hospital (Livonia, Michigan).
January 1995 to December 1997: Medical/computer consultant to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan regarding managed care of diabetes, asthma and heart disease.
August 1987 to 2009: Private legal practice in suburban Detroit, Michigan with an emphasis on commercial litigation and collections. Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Michigan in 1990 by Attorney General Frank Kelley, reappointed in February 2000 by Attorney General Jennifer Granholm, serving under Attorney General Michael Cox from 2004-2009.
May 1987 to August 1987: Law clerk, health care department, Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn, Detroit.
May 1985 to May 1987: Senior computer programmer in Data Analysis Department at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan.
September 1984 to May 1985: Implemented a laboratory graphics package, evaluated physician use of computers in critical care units and designed scheduling programs for the research unit at University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
May 1984 to April 1992: Consultant in Computers and Medicine to the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. Developed computer programs to aid in the management of diabetes mellitus (see publications).
September 1976 to August 1983: Designed and maintained a laboratory information system for Livonia Doctors Clinic and CRT Management Company, Detroit, used by 25 other medical laboratories. Also developed payroll, bookkeeping and medical billing programs.
June 1975 to August 1979: Designed and maintained job costing, bookkeeping, payroll and engineering programs for Halpert & Associates and Neyer Tiseo & Hindo, Ltd., two soil engineering companies in suburban Detroit.
July 1974 to June 1975: Computer programmer for Wang Laboratories office in suburban Detroit. Designed medical billing and bookkeeping programs.
1. N Pernick. Sleep Deprivation during Internships. University of Michigan Medical School student magazine, Spring 1981.
2. N Pernick, M Beveridge, ML Jaffe, R Parker, D Rodbard. A microcomputer consultation system for self-adjustment of insulin dosage. Medical Management and Computing, Vol 2. American Association for Medical Systems and Informatics 1983; 62-7 (link to Table of Contents).
3. D Rodbard, M Jaffe, M Beveridge, N Pernick. A data management program to assist with home monitoring of blood glucose and self adjustment of insulin dosage for patients with diabetes mellitus and their physicians. Proceedings of the Eight Annual Symposium on Computer Applications in Medical Care. IEEE Computer Society 1984; 321-4 (link)
4. N Pernick, D Rodbard. Diabetes data management program available for microcomputers (letter). Diabetes Care 1984; 7: 401-2 (link)
5. NL Pernick, D Rodbard. Personal computer programs to assist with self-monitoring of blood glucose and self-adjustment of insulin dosage. Diabetes Care 1986; 9: 61-9 (link)
- High-tech diabetes care: present and future (editorial). Diabetes Care 1986; 9: 87-8 (link)
- Computer programs can help diabetics monitor, manage their glucose levels. JAMA 1986; 256: 1097.
6. N Pernick. Outpatient versus inpatient cardiac catheterization (letter). N Eng J Med 1989; 320: 938.
7. NL Pernick, M DaSilva, MD Gangi, J Crissman, V Adsay. “Histiocytic Markers” in Melanoma. Mod Pathol 1999; 12: 1072-1077 (link)
8. NL Pernick, L Biernat, W Du, DW Visscher. Clinicopathologic Analysis of Fas, Fas Ligand and other Biomarkers in Locally Advanced Breast Carcinoma. The Breast Journal 2000; 6: 233-241 (link)
9. Bonnett M, Wallis T, Rossmann M, Pernick NL, Carolin KA, Segel M, Bouwman D, Visscher D. Histologic and radiographic analysis of ductal carcinoma in situ diagnosed using stereotactic incisional core breast biopsy. Modern Pathology 2002; 15:95 (link)
10. NL Pernick, FH Sarkar, P Tabaczka, G Kotcher, NV Adsay. Fas and Fas Ligand expression in pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreas 2002; 25(3): E36-41 (link).
11. NL Pernick, FH Sarkar, PA Philip, P Arlauskas, AF Shields, VK Vaitkevicius, MC Dugan, NV Adsay. Clinicopathologic analysis of pancreatic adenocarcinoma in African-Americans and Caucasians. Pancreas 2003; 26: 28-32 (link)
12. M Bonnett, T Wallis, M Rossmann, NL Pernick, D Bouwman, KA Carolin, D Visscher. Histopathologic Analysis of Atypical Lesions in Image-Guided Core Breast Biopsies. Mod Pathol 2003; 16:154 (link)
13. LA Newman, NL Pernick, K Carolin, D Bouwman, M Kosir, M White, DW Visscher. Histopathologic evidence of tumor regression in the axillary lymph nodes of patients treated with preoperative chemotherapy correlates with breast cancer outcome. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2003; 10: 734-9 (link)
14. Wheeler, D. Pathology and the Internet. Adv Anat Pathol 2004;11:64 (describes PathologyOutlines.com website, link)
15. Shekhar MP, Biernat LA, Pernick N, Tait L, Abrams J, Visscher DW. Utility of DNA postreplication repair protein Rad6B in neoadjuvant chemotherapy response. Med Oncol 2010;27:466 (link)
16. Pernick, NL. The Laws of Complexity and Self-Organization: A framework for understanding neoplasia. Initial version posted December 2011, revised June 2017.
17. Pernick, NL. How Cancer Arises Based on Complexity Theory. Posted November 2017.
18. Pernick, N. Focusing on Preinvasive Neoplasia (Letter to the Editor). Arch Pathol Lab Med 2018;142:558.
1997 to 1998: Michigan representative, College of American Pathologists Residents Forum.
1988 to 1994: Oakland County Community Mental Health Services Board. CMH is a quasi-governmental agency with a (then) $100 million budget for the mentally ill and developmentally disabled in Oakland County, Michigan.
1988 to 1995: East Michigan Environmental Action Council, member Finance and Endowment Committees.
1986 to 1988: American Civil Liberties Union Board Member, Oakland County Chapter.
1980 to 1981: Secretary, American Medical Student Association-University of Michigan.
1980 to 1981: Ann Arbor Energy Committee Renewable Resources Task Force.
1980: Michigan State Medical Society convention, student delegate.
Michigan (Medicine, Law)
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, September 2000
United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology